hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

1975 ford e250 351w c6 trans. I rebuilt the auto trans and

Customer Question

1975 ford e250 351w c6 trans. I rebuilt the auto trans and it ran great until I took it on a 15 mile trip. (Engine was replaced at the same time. It had a blown motor so I never drove it before purchase.) after the long drive and sitting overnight it was stuck in first while in drive the next morning can manually shift fine. I adjusted the linkage and it started to drive fine again. Drove about 30 short trips everything was okay. Took on another long trip drove fine. Let sit overnight stuck in 1st same symptoms. Messed with vacuume modulater and linkage. Starts shifting fine again. Drove 2 months short trips. Shifts fine. I let my sister borrow it for a long trip. Made it there with no problems. When she left to come home 3 days later stuck in first again. I have tried adjusting the linkage. Replacing the modulator with a different colored stripe. Vacuume at manifold at idle 15hg/in. Hose from manifold holds vacuume. Fluid level good and clean. Any ideas short of dropping the pan?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what was wrong with the transmission that you went into it in the first place, did it have a problem or you just rebuilt it since you did the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just rebuilt cause of engine. I drove it around the block before buying but the engine lost its thrust berring so the crank slid back and forth about 1/4". When I pulled the tranny down the front sizable thrust washer was smashed and in the pan.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds like something is hanging up. Few things that control upshifting as you already know are the vacuum modulator, tv cable. the govenor on the output shaft and the valve body. Since the vacuum modulator is new, its safe to say that is probably ok unless you installed the valve behind the vacuum modulator in backwards but that would have an issue all the time. So long as the throttle linkage to the trans isnt binding up from being overtightened, i would suspect an issue in the valve body or possibly an issue with govenor which helps regulate the pressures in the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
linkage it torqued. Kickdown has great spring and is adjusted. Tv cable? I was leaning toward stuck governer. I was think if of running an air test once I dropped the valve body.Any idea why it would only happen after extended trips and sitting overnight? I guess that's my real question. Never happens while on the trip but only after cooling down over night.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

I meant kickdown( linkage at trans) . Only thing I can think of with it after sitting overnight is something is binding. Once it gets hot it gets stuck in a certain position and jams up when it cools down like a valve. Airchecking is a good way to go, but definitely drop the pan first to see if there is any debris in the pan, its possible something is flowing through the cooler system of the trans and blocking a passage.

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Valve body,valving inside the valve body, govenor main things since it has the gears otherwise. Worn plastic check ball, (if this still uses plastic ones, been awhile since ive been inside a C6) Plastic check balls can wear down over time from moving back and forth and get stuck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pull down the valve body and go through it. It's kinda the step I was already heading towards. Are there any transmission experts on here?
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

I am, been building ford transmissions for almost 20 years now and ford was still using the C6 in some newer vans

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll drop the pan and pull apart the valve body tomorrow. There's a trans parts distributor 45 min from my house. I'll inspect and replace anything worn. Are there parts I should change in the VB just because?
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Inspect all the valves for free movement and any signs of crud build up in the passages. check size of check balls and while valve body is down air check and check flow to govenor and if needed the govenor body

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Governer body? In the tail shaft?
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Yesthe plate on the back of the trans case inside the extension housing is the govenor body that has supply tubes to the clutches through the case and flow back to the govenor on the tailshaft. Something is anging up and either causing a loss of fluid pressure or shifting control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in a motorcycle accident on Friday and broke my collar bone. I have yet to pull the pan I should have surgery tue. Or wed. Then it's a three month recovery. I'd like to keep this open until I get a chance to pull the VB.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ouch! glad you are ok otherwise, I ride so I know the dangers of the open road! Just get back to me when you get a chance to floow up, the question will remain open until you hit accept and rate the question and we can still talk back and forth until you are satisfied with the repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the valve body. It is missing the reverse clutch check ball.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the pic.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Missing? it had to be there to have reverse or the ball fell apart if it was a plastic one

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

If it was plastic, need to see if it is jammed up in one of the valve body passages

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cable body dosent even have a spot for that ball. Other than that everything moves freely and smooth. I think I'll pull the governer off next.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok keep me posted on what you find

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this bad? Lol.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Yup governor body split apart, that will do it!

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help or information, let me know, If I was helpful please hit accept and leave a positive rating so I get credit for assisting you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get it back together and make sure it's good then I'll rate the help. There were 2 things I didn't touch during the rebuild. The VB and the governer. Guess I learned my lesson.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

No problem and yes, always go thru everything n a build.

Expert:  hdgene replied 12 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  hdgene replied 11 months ago.

Hi, the question was closed. Did you resolve the issue?