Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Have a 2003 honda civic standard. rpms go up when the clutch

Customer Question

Hi, have a 2003 honda civic standard. rpms go up when the clutch or brake is touched, and I do not have foot on accelerator. Someone drove it that was new to the standard drive (knows how to drive automatic), and wonder if they somehow caused the problem. Before taking to shop, want some idea of what might be wrong and possible cost.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please be a bit more specific about the rpm fluctuation? How much do the rpm's raise when pressing the clutch or brake? is it a significant amount?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RPMs fluctuate up and down. Yes, it is significant. Car goes into gear, but it is rough.and car jumps as you shift gears. Hopefully, this will help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting a response to my follow-up to the original question. Is there a problem?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I had to step away from my computer for a bit due to an issue. I'm trying to understand the situation. Let me know if the following statement is accurate: You can be sitting still, hit the brakes, and the rpm's will fluctuate significantly? What rpm does the vehicle idle at when not hitting the brakes? The more information I have the better I can help you. I work on only Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week so I know the brand well. This is not a typical complaint so I need to make sure I understand what is happening before I give you clear direction. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im probably not describing all of this correctly. Car is fine when started. When put into gear, rpms goes up to about 7000, so have to wait until goes down to proceed. When need to slow and touch brakes, the rpms goes back to 7000 or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this doesn't help, I'm sorry. Unfortunately, I may have to take it to shop to find out.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

You are doing fine. have some ideas, but I just wanted to get as much information from you as possible before I made any sort of determination. Give me a little bit to respond back. I will be back with you shortly. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for an answer. You haven't replied since yesterday afternoon. I need to make a decision soon as what to do with this car.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Had any work been done prior to the vehicle developing these symptoms?