rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My car is intermittently lurching (once) when accelerating

Customer Question

My car is intermittently lurching (once) when accelerating from a stop and possibly somewhere in first and maybe second gear. It feels like if you were driving a manual transmission and didn't get the clutch has/timing quite right. A pause and then a slam forward. Only happens once in awhile, sometimes very subtle and other times more noticeable. Also happens slightly coming to a stop sometimes. Just bought the car 6 months ago. 2010 Mercury Milan with 83,000 miles. Got a dealership I inspection first and only thing they found was that the transmission fluid was getting near ready for flush. Got the transmission flushed 3 months ago and then also got the throttle body cleaned at the mechanics suggestion.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

In a case like this, a scan tool should be connected to the car and driven while the problem is occurring, then take a snapshot of the activities so it can then be take back to the shop for evaluation of all the sensors and actuators including transmission shifting.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have such a tool (low skill level). Should I take it to the Ford dealer or a local transmission shop? Does it seem like a transmission problem in general? That is my uneducated guess. It has had this issue pretty much since I bought it as far as I know but it is very intermittent so don't know. I have had it to a Ford Dealer 3 total times now - once for inspection and for transmission flush, coolant flush, and throttle body cleaning. They have not mentioned any problems any of these visits and charge 59.99 for any kind of initial investigation/diagnosis. The dealer did not even replace the radiator cap last time. There is one local transmission shop I have researched that seems to have a substantial amount of positive customer feedback. The car also makes an unusual purring/gurgling noise sometimes when idling or low speeds.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

That's the way I would go then, to the trans shop. It sounds like they are more thorough too.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me too:)