Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have several codes on a 05 dodge dakota.

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.I need a little more info to assist better.

Can you post the fault codes you have here as well if anything was checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought I had left a brief description with codes in the first message.It's a 2005 dodge Dakota 4x4 with 4.7.
Check engine light, and abs are both on. Speedometer doesn't work, along with cruise ect. Transmission is also down shifting hard I'm told, but haven't driven the vehicle.
Codes:
C102B
P0501
U1417
U1418
P0420
C1032
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Were these codes cleared out then the vehicle ran to see which of these codes comes back first and which of these codes comes back all together?

Was anything done on the vehicle that may have caused this issue or anything done to try and correct the fault?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes have been cleared out once since it started doing this, but I want able to see what they were. The codes I provided you were the ones that have since cabs back on.
Aside from getting new tires, and I believe one or two ball joints replaced, nothing else had been done to the vehicle to cause anything. And that work has been done 3-5000 miles before it started. Not sure if it was upper or lower on the ball joint replacement.
I'm mainly just trying to get a good starting point and go from there. All the codes seem to point to the rear wheel speed sensor, but I'm not sure. What's the best plan here?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Code C102B will set when a fault is detected with the rear wheel speed sensor circuit.This can be an issue with the sensor itself or the wiring and can affect the speedometer operation.I would start with checking wiring to this sensor and see if any wiring is found damaged needing repaired.In most cases the sensor itself needs replaced to correct this here.This will also cause hard shifting issues.

Code C1032 is the same with a fault with the rear wheel speed sensor signal with erratic performance.This can be the same with wiring at fault or possibly the sensor itself in most cases.

Code P0420 will set when there is low efficiency with the catalytic converter.Usually this indicates the catalytic converter needs replaced.In some cases if there is damage to the converter or any exhaust leaks or an after market catalytic converter this can also cause this code to set with it needing corrected to resolve this here.

Code P0501 is related to the rear wheel speed sensor as this is a vehicle speed sensor code.The signal for the speed sensor is not being picked up from the anti lock brake computer to the engine computer and sets this code.

Code U1417 is a code for the left wheel speed signal.They want the rear wheel speed signal diagnosed and repaired first before continuing with this code and to see if this corrects the fault here

Code U1418 will set when there is a fault with the right speed sensor signal.Once again they want the rear speed circuit repaired first to see if this corrects the fault here.

I would lean on checking into the wiring for the rear speed sensor signal and if o.k. replace the rear speed sensor then clear all codes and re operate the vehicle to see if the faults are corrected.As for the catalytic converter check for any exhaust leaks or damage as well as any after market exhaust components needing replaced and if these are o.k. then the catalytic converter needs replaced.

The speed sensor issue is the one that is causing all of the issues here though.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.