sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 95 c36. When driving normal the transmission shift

Customer Question

I have a 95 c36. When driving normal the transmission shift great. Even with half throttle or so, but when I give a bit more or even floor it there is a delay between 2nd and 3rd. I have not tried again after it happened a few times. When it did happen I let off the throttle and it shifted.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Upshifting is delayed under higher throttle openings but I'm assuming you're familiar with the way it normally shifts and this is a new issue.

If only a certain shift point is involved it usually indicates a clutch issue. Something such as an inaccurate throttle position sensor will affect up and downshift timing but that will affect all shift points.

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid is up to proper level and super clean. The car sat in the garage for 2-3 years. I have had the car for 11 years. Sorry for the delayed response. I have read on from other mb owners about K1 Accumulator Spring Kit helping something with surging between certain gear shifts. Are you familiar with this?

Changing accumulator springs will change shift feel but it won't change a delay or slip, and if it was a spring issue then it would have shifted the same since new. This isn't something that has always happened, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not something that was always there. It only happens if I'm heavy on the throttle and the rpms are high I would say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i believe only between 2-3 gear. Not sure if it would do it between 3-4

Did it come on all at once or has it gotten progressively worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to have all come at once but I dont usually drive the car so hard so i can't be sure.

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not electronic tranny

It is. The trans is controlled by a dedicated module, on top the valve body there are eight shift solenoids and two speed sensors. All up and downshifting is controlled by the transmission control module based on engine load, throttle angle, vehicle speed, temperatures, and is accomplished through the solenoids on the valve body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car a 95 has the 4 speed. I believe 96 was when they went to electronic 5 speed. The Mercedes-Benz 4G-Tronic transmission was produced from 1981 to 1996 in 722.3 and 722.4 variants. It was a hydraulically operated non-lockup four speed automatic that replaced the similarly designed 722.2 four speed automatic transmisison in 1981. The 4G-Tronic was used until mid-1996 in some vehicles when it was replaced by the Mercedes-Benz 722.5 which is basically the same transmission with an additional electrically controlled 5th gear for overdrive.

Do you have the VIN? I verified the trans application in the factory service manual for the vehicle information posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WDBHM36E2SF209427

Are you able to upload a picture of the right side of the trans near the front, I'd like to see the area just above the right front corner of the trans pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried with the car on the ground, it's too low. I don't have a floor jack at home.

I really need to confirm what trans you have as the service information shows the electronically controlled trans.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you looking for a picture of the number on the transmission?

I'm looking for the electrical connector bushing.