AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Driving my car when it suddenly wouldn't shift, then stopped

Customer Question

Driving my car when it suddenly wouldn't shift, then stopped completely and started shmoking. Still would drive Barlly at low RPMs. Oil all over the bottom
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your transmission oil pan got damaged and you lost all your fluid. The smoking was probably all the fluid getting all over your exhaust and burning off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a tough fix?

well, the leak depends on what got damaged. If it's just a damaged pan, then it's not that hard to replace the pan. My concern is transmission damage from driving it without fluid. Those clutches burn out very easily. All you can do is figure out where all the fluid came from, and fix it and hope that your transmission did not get damaged. Unfortunately, odds are that it did get damaged. Have you looked under the car yet to see what happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know, just know it's all spraid everywhere on the bottom. I've got it sitting outside a mechanic shop for the morning. I was just anxious. Wanted to get answers early.

Sorry for the delay. computer crashed. hopefully it's just a matter of replacing the pan and filling it up with fluid. Usually though when something like this happens the clutches get way too hot and burn up. I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you.

It could have also blown a transmission line. You might be ok if it didn't lose that much before you stopped driving it.

what did you find out?