Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................
Experience:  .................
14892859

2000 Dodge Stratus - hesitates to shift when going from park

Customer Question

2000 Dodge Stratus - hesitates to shift when going from park to drive or park to reverse. At stop sign in drive, hesitates when attempt to accelerate.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Trans_ Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcoem to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A hesitation on shifting into park or drive, and/or hesitates when trying to accelerate can be several things. More often than not, lack of sufficient hydraulic pressure is the problem. Thai can be caused by solenoid and or valves that control the hydraulic pressures to the internals of the transmission. If this car was in my shop, before I did ANYTHING else would be to recommend to you that we perform a complete transmission fluid flush, and add a can of a really good transmission fluid conditioner. Dirty/contaminated fluid will slow the actuation of the valves, which lessens the hydraulic pressure when you need it. 15 year old neoprene seals inside the transmission can allow the hydraulic pressure to seep past the seals. The new fluid will remove all of the dirty and contaminated fluid, and the conditioner will clean the valves and soften the neoprene seals. This is highly recommended, and just might cure all of your troubles. A good flush, with the conditioner should cost about 150 dollars.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer