Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a bmw 2004 745li that will not go into park. and is

Customer Question

I have a bmw 2004 745li that will not go into park. and is reading a trans fail safe p1898 code.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a 2004 bmw 745li that will not go into park it stays in N... The car runs and drives ok. shifts ok. The tranny is in fail safe.
their is a p1898 code and a 5016 code. How can we fix this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did a trans flush and still same issue. The car will shift into D R and drive just fine. It will Just not go into Park. By pushing in the leaver.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the info on the codes here this looks to be a low voltage issue for the transmission sensors.In some cases this can be due to a weak battery or alternator or an issue with the battery cables being loose or corroded at the battery or to where they run to from the battery itself.I have also seen issues with the transmission wiring being corroded or damaged at the transmission connection or leading to the transmission.If these have not been checked this should be done to see if any issues are found.

If this is all found to be o.k. you may have an issue with the computer itself with it needing replaced.The wiring needs checked as well as the battery and alternator tested and if found o.k. further voltage testing needs done to see if this is a computer fault with the computer needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.