Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

I have a 2003 grand prix... Almost a month ago I spilled a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 grand prix... Almost a month ago I spilled a 32oz sprite n the gear shifter thingy. At first the gear was sticky hard to move... Then I started to use the shift release button to move the gear... Now the shift unlock button doesn't even work and my gear shift wont move at all and feels loose from me constantly trying to move it.. Plus my key won't turn the ignition all the way off! What is going on Im so frustrated?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I break my shifter rod or wires ir something? What is going on? How come i can pull the stick out and press it back down into some unknown hole
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. It sounds like the liquid has finally caused a complete failure of the shifter. There is a mechanism in the shifter that not only locks it in place but also allows for the key to release from the ignition in park. The shifter assembly can possibly be taken apart and cleaned but it will more than likely need to be replaced. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.