Richard, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic and transmission expert.
10437779

I have a1998 jag It will not shift and reverse works like it

Customer Question

I have a1998 jag It will not shift and reverse works like it should
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Is your vehicle supercharged? Is the gear box fault warning on? Does the engine rev up then bang into gear when engaging drive or accelerating from a stop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car is not supercharged.the trans light is on. the engine does rev up then has a bang will run but does not shift
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. Unfortunately this is most likely an internal mechanical failure specifically the forward drum causing this. The transmission would need to be replaced or rebuilt. Of course we need to first check the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. A fill / level plug needs to be removed with the fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. If fluid flows out it is full. We also need to check the cable to make sure it is not loose or binding. Since the gearbox fault warning is on a Jag compatible scan tool will be needed to read the faults. If there is a code P1722 then it is usually mechanical. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some said that it might be electrical as the bang is not there all the time thanks for the info
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible. This is why the fluid needs to be checked as well as seeing the exact fault codes