Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 engine. we had thr

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 engine. we had thr transmission over hauled about 1 yr ago, this last summer it stalls when putting into drive and taking off. It also stalls at the red lights. If you let up on the peddle it will soner or later let you go forward. It doesn't do it all the time but most of the time. If you let it set for an hr or so it is really bad and will backfire somewhere under the hood. Any insights?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

The back firing under the hood usually occurs with a lean engine running condition and the lean condition fits in as well with the fault you have posted here.This can be a fault with your fuel pump intermittently not creating enough fuel pressure or fuel volume to allow the engine to start and run properly.In some cases the engine may still start and run but it may not have enough volume to allow acceleration and can cause the stall out and back firing.

If you have not has the fuel pressure or fuel volume tested this needs done and if the pressure is found to be low or weak on volume the pump usually requires replacement and is a very common component to fail.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. Let me know so we can continue.

The other issue is a vacuum leak on the engine with a leaking vacuum hose or an issue with a leaking intake gasket or similar.If you have not had the engine checked over for vacuum leaks this should be done as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete