Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

Vehicle will not come out of themode. stays locked in.

Customer Question

vehicle will not come out of the*****mode. stays locked in.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

when you try to shift it into 2WD what does the switch do or show for position ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

does this has a 4WD switch in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not have switch to change drive mode. vehicle is automatic range change
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with this being a full time AWD set up in this truck may i ask what kind of problem you are having ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
transfer case is in*****mode and will not go back to*****on it own as it should.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if this chatting the front tires when turning at slow speeds ?

any lights lit up in the dash ?

is this a feel that it is in 4WD when it should not be kind of thing where you feel it binding so to say ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st question yes 2nd question no 3rd question front wheels are pulling and feels like binding as you described.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you for that information

the most common issue that causes this problem is dirty fluid in the transfer case which will cause the internal clutches in the transfer case to find and not allowing the necessary slipping from the front wheels to the rear wheels which it should allow for a slip speed difference between the front and rear wheels when 4wd is not needed

with no lights lit up in the dash changing the transfer case fluid and be sure to use 2 quarts of AutoTrakII fluid in the transfer case then driving the vehicle for a few miles @ 25 to 50 the new fluid should work into the clutches and stop this from happening

if by a rare chance it still does this after changing the fluid and driving it the only thing left to cause this issue would be an internal transfer case problem but usually with no lights on that is not the case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the advise on this matter. will try your recommendation and go from that point. hope it fixes this problem?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as you say I will give this solution a try and hope that it takes care of this situation not coming back to*****as it should on its own.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good let me know

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

good morning

how is the truck doing ?