ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra. Couple days ago, daughter came

Customer Question

Customer: Good morning. I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra. Couple days ago, daughter came home indicating that vehicle was accelerating badly, transmission was slipping. Rand scanner and cope for bad TPS came up. Switched out w new one. Adjusted idle now runs and accelerates as it should, but transmission continues to slip after trying to go into 3erd sometimes 4th gear. Problem related to TPS or separate?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No leaks with transmission fluid, slipping didn't start occurring until this past Friday. Replaced TPS sensor following morning. Ran test drive, slipping cleared up but now it is back. Does the transmission go into what I've read is a safe mode and does that have to be cleared by a technician?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes of course
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The slippage is a separate issue. You need to check fluid level, fluid color and smell. If dark or burnt smelling, you need to change the fluid and filter and check for metal shavings in the old fluid. If found, you are likely looking at worn bands and clutches and will need to rebuild. You can confirm by taking for a test drive with new fluid and filter in it. If still slipping, time for a rebuild, and if not, it was just worn fluid and dirty filter

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks