Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. repairing vehicles. Factory trained Nissan and Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 1997 subaru outback legacy 2.5 automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1997 subaru outback legacy 2.5 automatic transmission with about 93,000 miles on it. I got it used at 60,000 (one owner) and the transmission fluid looked new. Dealer maintenance records show the car was regularly serviced.
Issue:
As I slowly turned into a parking lot, it seemed like someone was holding my car back (torque bind?). The AT oil temp light came on, so I immediately stopped the car and had the car towed to the dealer. They said it was pulling a code 24 and it was the duty solenoid c that had failed. They said to put a fuse to make it FWD, which I did. I have run the car about 40 miles for about a week with the fuse in, which is indicated on the dash by the FWD light. However, I took the fuse out and drove the car, without the AT light flashing. If the duty c solenoid is failing, would it not be a total fail, rather than only sometimes? Could this issue be caused by dirty AT fluid and filter. I noticed the fluid was pinkish/brown. Also, the mechanic recommended a trans filer change, using RTV, rather than a gasket, as Subaru no longer makes gaskets for this car (aftermarkets are available, but not sure how the Subaru dealer would warranty the work with a non-Subaru authorized part). Other than that the transmission and engine run great. Love the car and want to keep it.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The binding does in fact indicate the solenoid is failing. That being said, removing the fuse and having the issue vanish could in fact mean the issue is nothing more then dirty fluid and some varnish built up in the solenoid or the tube that goes to the transfer clutches.

What I would do is have a transmission flush done. With this service you do not have to replace the filter, it can clean the varnish from the valve body and the solenoids, and it will replace ALL of the atf in the transmission.

If the problem comes back after that service, then I would have the clutch pack and solenoid replaced to resolve the issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?