Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

My 93 nissan pickup has a manual transmission in which i

Customer Question

my 93 nissan pickup has a manual transmission in which i have just replaced the clutch. why does it want to shut off when going up hill?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say it wants to shut off, are you saying the engine want to shut off and if that is the case does it restart right away. Please explain with full details and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine wants to shut off with the gas pedal to the floor
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you are loosing power under load I would start first with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occuring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also had a 1/4 tank of gas in it that seemed to run out while i was test driving it... an yes it does crank right up after it shuts off. did i mention i just rebuilt the engine and there is some of exhaust smoke?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay try adding some fuel and then check your fuel pressure if it still looses power after you add the fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check fuel pressure?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel supply line down stream of the of the pressure regulator and read the pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would low fuel pressure produce exhaust smoke? if not, what would be some causes?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No, low fuel pressure would not produce exhaust smoke, what color is the smoke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
white
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

White smoke can be caused by either your burning oil which usually has a bit of a blue tint to it or coolant which is white like steam. Black smoke is usually due to over fueling causing a rich condition,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guess it has a blueish tint to it...
what would cause that?
remember i just rebuilt the engine..;
would that be a cause to loss of power going up hills?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If its blueish then its likely oil , my first thought would be either rings have not seated or there not staggered correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought i put the top and middle rings on opposite sides of the piston
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if it pushing blue smoke its usually oil, you may want to give it some time and see if the seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see if what?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

See if the rings will seat which will seal them if you are sure you got them staggered right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would there be any other reason for it to smoke like that?
is there a way to check if they are seated correctly with removing them?
would that be the cause of the loss of power while going up hill?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the smoke is blue then its oil and there is no way to check seating and or the staggering with out pulling the pistons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Like I said, if its not a loss of engine compression then I would start with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure.