sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2004 Hyundai xg350l. It was stuck in 3rd gear. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Hyundai xg350l. It was stuck in 3rd gear. I changed the trams. Relay and it worked for 4 months. Now it's stuck in 3rd gear again. How do I fix this?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission mis spelled
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans is stuck in a single gear then it's in limp in. When the transmission control module sees an issue that can cause damage or it believes it doesn't have complete control it will lock you in a single gear. There are many possible causes for limp in.

The issue may be a solenoid, speed sensor, the range sensor, wiring, an internal transmission or valve body issue, the TCM itself, or a loss of power or ground to the TCM. If the problem is intermittent, if this problem is actually related to the previous problem, then it's most likely an electrical issue rather than an internal trans problem.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see if the TCM is awake and see what fault codes are set.