Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

04 dodge 2500 cummins auto trans. Q what temps should I be

Customer Question

04 dodge 2500 cummins auto trans . Q what temps should I be running with my trans,and engine water when pulling an 8000lb 5th wheel trailer?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. You should try and keep the transmission temperature below 200F while towing, and coolant temperature around 220 F. If your transmission gets over 220, then think about installing an extra external cooler to keep it below 200.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris you have told the basics , and thankyou now what can I do to help stay in these temp ranges and below ?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well first use tow mode when towing. That will allow the transmission to run cooler. This in turn will reduce the heat load from the cooling system. Keep the radiator fins clean. Another thing that helps is to replace the stock transmission oil pan with a Mag Pan finned aluminum pan. It holds more fluid and the fins help disipate the heat.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Let me know if you did or did not. I will resend it again if necessary.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

.....

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Are you still with me?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Chris