Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 01 Buick Century Custom and the serpentine belt

Customer Question

I have a 01 Buick Century Custom and the serpentine belt broke on the car. After I replaced the belt the car will not shift into gears. I added transmission fluid into the car and still nothin
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the fluid is full in the transmission ?

is the transmission physically being shifted into reverse and drive from the shift cable on top of the transmission ?

when in park will the car NOT roll and lock on the parking lock in the transmission ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you move the gear shift you feel nothing, hear nothing, and it does not move...the transmission is full of fluid
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the shift cable connected to the transmission lever at the top of the transmission and if so when shifting it into reverse and drive do you see the cable shift the transmission physically ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks plugged in is it on the same side I replaced the serpentine belt on?
I'm not sure how to change the gears using the transmission I just learned how to put the belt on yesterday watching youtube
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no the shift cable is on top of the transmission on the drivers side of the transmission kind of under the mater cylinder area of the car

we need to see and be sure its connected as they can pop off sometimes

when in park will the car NOT roll and lock on the parking lock ? when shifted into neutral will the car roll ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not roll in neutral. It looks like everything is plugged in I tried to send a pic but my replies won't go through
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if it will not roll in neutral you have to be 100 % sure the shift cable is connected to the transmission

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the difficult part because I am not familiar with fixing on cars I really don't know where I am supposed to be looking. Your pictures help but it doesn't look like my car setup
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you look on the drivers side top of the transmission in the area of under the master cylinder area while looking have someone shift the car from park to drive and keep doing that until you can visually see the shift cable moving

once you locate the cable visually see if the cable is still connected to the transmission little shift lever and see visually if the metal lever on the transmission is being physically shifted when the shifter is shifted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I see the bar and yes it is moving but the car doesn't roll
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ik if that bar that goes into the transmission is moving when shifted and the fluid is full and the E-brake is NOT on something has failed inside of this transmission

there is no other reason why this car should not move if the e-brake is not on unless the front wheels are locked up like the front brakes locked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really didn't want to hear that the car moved fine but the belt broke then I got it towed and fixed the belt no movement