Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2009 Jeep patriot does not go in first gear 3th go

Customer Question

Hi Tim I have a 2009 Jeep patriot does not go in first gear 3th go in 2ed 4 th and reverse and in the clutch pedal is not pressure how can I fix the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the clutch disc is worn and needs replacing. The hydraulic clutch system uses the brake master cylinder as a reservoir for the fluid to the hydraulic clutch. When the disc plates surface becomes worn the pedal will become low and the pressure plate will feel like it has no pressure because it's pushing up against anything. the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, diaphragm spring, and the cover are made as a modular clutch assembly and is located between the engine and manual transaxle in the transaxle bellhousing, and is responsible for transmitting engine power to the transaxle. When the clutch does not release with the engine running the the main shaft of the transmission continues to spin making it near impossible to put the transmission in gear.

Verify there are no obstructions at the shift lever like, covers, mats or accessories on the shifter level. Make sure the fluid level in the brake master cylinder is at the proper level. If no external reasons are found, the problem is internal to the transmission.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
way go in 2ed gear in 4th gear and reverse if the clutch is gone? and don't engage in first 3th and 5th is all the gears witch shift to the front.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

First, third and fifth are on different shafts in the transmission. Second and forth are on the same shaft that spins when the shift lever is in the 2nd & 4th gear positions.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Does the transmission shift good in all gears with the engine off?

Let me know

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

If you can move the shifter through all of the gears with the engine off, the shifter and shift cables are operating normally. The fact that you have a low clutch pedal with no pressure is very common to a worn clutch disc. If you continue to force the transmission into gear this will damage the cables and internal transmission components.