sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Went mudding in my truck now it has issues accelerating and

Customer Question

Went mudding in my truck now it has issues accelerating and switching gears. It sounds like it's running fine but when I accelerate it won't down shift, it accelerates slowly no matter if my foot is to the floor or not. I have to take my foot on and off the gas to get it to shift gears. Any ideas what is happening? All the while nothing sounds bad, it's still running smoothly, it shifts gears smoothly
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the trans is stuck in a single gear then it's most likely in limp in, which will happen when a problem is seen that could cause damage or the controller doesn't think it has complete control. The issue could be internal in the trans, a solenoid or speed sensor issue, wiring, or the engine/trans controller itself.

What is the model of the vehicle and which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 1999 Dodge 2500HD
And it isn't stuck in one gear, it can still switch I just have to let off the gas and back on it. And it won't shift to overdrive when I try to accelerate hard. It won't accelerate fast at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine is a V10 8L Magnum

From your description it looks like the trans may be in limp in. It's sluggish on takeoff or it's slipping on takeoff?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say a little sluggish, but it feels smooth when it does switch gears

If you pull the shifter into manual first does it take off better?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean pull the shifter into manual?

Manual first gear, two positions past drive and labeled with a 1 for first gear.