ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

My transmission would not work and car went into safe

Customer Question

My transmission would not work and car went into safe program mode. I changed transmission and safe mode is still on. I am worried because this transmission came out of a 1997 740 wrecked, my car is a 2000 540i. Both are 5hp 24 but I didn't check other numbers. Will this transmission work in my car? Is there a way to get car out of transmission safe program without going to dealer.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

They are interchangeable, but the problem may be in the transmission control module or the wiring between the control module and the transmission. The control module needs to be scanned with a bmw scan tool and see if it is good or not and replaced and programmed if needed. If ok, then wiring harness needs to be traced for shorts and repaired

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating