Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

2000 Nissan frontier 4cyl auto When vehicle sits a while I

Customer Question

2000 Nissan frontier 4cyl auto
When vehicle sits a while I star it and put it in drive and it just revs. I can put it in 2 or 1 and it goes as it should and shift to d and everything is normal. I can also turn off the o/d and it goes as it should. Just will not move after sitting when first put in drive, after driving a short distance it works great.
Any idea
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like "morning sickness". Basically it's worn seals inside the transmission that causes a loss of pressure required to engage your transmission. After it warms up a little, the seals begin to soften up and seal better. There are products that claim to fix this problem, but I have never used any of them and couldn't tell you if they work or not.

If you need further assistance please feel free to ask. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to rate me. I greatly appreciate it. You can always followup at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes sense but yet not completely.
If the vehicle sits overnight and I start it and immediately put it in drive it won't move, but within seconds of putting it in drive I push the o/d button to turn off overdrive and it will drive perfectly. Shifts perfect through all gears all the time. Taking off after sitting without turning off overdrive is the problem. I have tried many combinations and I am certain it is with overdrive on.

OK. I am drawing a blank as to exactly why your transmission would shift perfectly fine as long as overdrive is off. I am going to opt out. Hopefully someone else here knows what's going on with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Brian.
It is only the initial time when I put it in drive. After drive 100 feet I put the o/d back on and you would never know there was an issue.
Been to two different translations shops and all they want to do is rebuil it without any idea what is the origin of the issue.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

ARE YOU SAYING,THAT AFTER THE FIRST START IN THE MORNING,IT WILL TAKE OFF IN DRIVE LIKE IT IS SUPPOSE TO?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I start it, put it in drive, turn off the o/d I can drive. I drive say 100-200 feet and turn the o/d back on and it runs perfectly all day.

OK

FROM THE WAY YOU EXPLAIN..IT SOUNDS AS IF THE TRANSMISSION FILTER IS CLOGGED,THE REASON IT DOESNT WORK AT FIRST START,IS THE FLUID IS MUCH THICKER WHEN COLD MAKING IT HARD FOR IT TO GO THROUGH THE CLOGGED FILTER

REPLACE THE FILTER.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.