hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

I have a 1993 Ford E350 and it has been stalling out when

Customer Question

Hi Scott, my name is***** have a 1993 Ford E350 and it has been stalling out when stopping, the transmission seems to slip shifting into 2nd stage and the engine is making noise like the timing is off, I have replaced all components as you recomend to a provides person and the last thing the computer but nothing helps, the engine runs perfect when I disconnect the throttle
sensor but the check engine light comes on and it will not shift into 3rd stage without moving into neutral and then into drive as I am driving.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Just before stopping, say 20 mph or less, do you ever feel a jolting sensation

Since I cannot see whatever previous post you are referencing, I dont know what parts you have replaced, so please let me know the specifics of what you replaced

When you recrank it, how does it idle in park and in drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel injectors, fuel pump, distributor, distributor cap and wires, throttle sensor, map sensor, computer module, idle control valve.
Idle is ruff and when put in drive it stalls but starts up right away but runs like crap, it hesitates and make a pinging noise when accelerating.
As I mentioned, if i disconnect the throttle sensor wire plug, the engine runs perfect, except idle is a little higher than normal and the check engine light comes on and it doesn't shift into second stage without first putting it into neutral and then into drive.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, definitely not what I was thinking - torque converter not coming out of lock up - I will opt out and see if another expert has an idea on this one

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.9L 6 cyl

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light stays on until i plug the throttle sensor wires back in.

ok,,have you scanned it?do you get any codes?

do you know what transmission you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a scanner but can find a shop who does, don't know what trans it has.

is the transmission a 3 speed or 4 speed automatic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 and over drive.

do you have a vacuum on the hose to the map sensor?

does it run like this when it is hot and cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about the vacuum, have to check, same hot or cold

ok,,

i would like to have those codes,,and we do need to know if ou do have a vacuum on the hose to the map

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably not until Monday

but,,from the way you explain the problem.it sounds as if the egr valve may not be closing all the way

remove the egr valve and clean it with carb cleaner,,make sure the valve does close all the way..if it sticks open,it will cause a major vacuum leak from the exhaust

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t72ss1jd82x1nu3/1009-ford-e350-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/t72ss1jd82x1nu3/1009-ford-e350-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the egr valve as well, that was the first thing i tried, forgot about that.

ok,,did you try removing the vaccum hose from the egr and plug it..the egr solenoid may be bad,sending a vacuum to the egr valve making it stay open..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck is at work, ill try tomorrow!

ok..

check it out and let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks!

you are very welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I got the flu and stayed home.
I have changed the ERG and ERV sensors and get no error codes when connecting Snap-On 2500 scanner.
Still the same problems: Vehicle stalls on idle when its in drive and the throttle sensor is connected, also the transmission is shaking when its shifting from 1st to second, this does not happen when the throttle sensor is disconnected but then the check engine light comes on and the transmission does not shift from second to third without moving into neural and then to drive as i am driving.
With the scanner connected, the throttle sensor connected and reading the data with the engine running the forward timing is at 14 and changing to 21 back and forth every 5-10 seconds.

so.you have already replaced the throttle position sensor an the iac[idle air control= valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there really isnt allot left here

do you ever need to add coolant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, never!

ok,,

stand by,i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks!
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, trying to follow this vehicle history here so forgive me if I ask some repetitive questions. You say it stalls out at idle but it wont if you unplug the TP sensor. You have no codes other than the TP sensor when you unplug the sensor. How does the trans fluid look and how many miles are on this vehicle. its 4.9 inline 6 cylinder engine with the E4OD Transmission or the AODE trans? AODE trans has a square shaped pan, the E4OD has a rectanuglar pan with a notch in the right rear corner of it. No transmission repairs have been done?The trans has an issue upshifting into 2nd gear only or has other shifting and engagement issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck has 175000 miles on it but the transmission was replaced with a rebuild around 130000 miles, its has the AODE, the strange thing is that it shifts fine from first to second when the TP sensor is disconnected but then it would not shift to third unless the shifter is moved to neutral and back to drive.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok it just hangs up in second and wont upshift without the tp sensor input. what does it do when its plugged in, will it have all of its gears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does all gears including OD, but the trans is shaking as it shift into 2nd unless i really step on the gas peddle and then it shift fine.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok so it stalls at an idle in park or in gear(drive or reverse) and it shakes?? when it upshifts to second gear,like a lack of fuel pressure or misfire? have you looked at the transmission range sensor to see if it is reading the correct gear range as the shifter is moved from gear to gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not in park but it has a "hick up" every 5-10 sek, and it stalls in drive and reverse when idling, i changed fuel pump with filter in the tank and inline and injectors, but reading the data on the scanner as the engine is running the timing changes from 14 to 23 at the same time as the "hick ups" occur. Yes I tried to manual shift but the problem is the same.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok and you have no ignition related codes for PIP signal, pickup coil, nothing like that, it passes a key on engine running and key on engine off test?

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

ignition timing is set correct when pulling the spout and any change if you pull the octane adjust spout?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes running or with ignition on, not sure about the timing, don't have a timing light but it doesn't change on the data reading when the adjust spout is removed.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Well need to see if the timing is bouncing around or steady with a timing light. Should be a 10 degress btdc with spout out. since the distributor was replaced and you have spark knock id take a lok at that first make sure it is where its supposed to be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, ill see if I can borrow light tomorrow.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Very good, Let me know what you find with that. Spark advance is calculated and you have a new pcm and distributor most everything is new. So see what base timing is at and also check engine vacuum. with the miles on the engine you could have a base engine concern.