Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My wife has a 2006 PT Cruiser (not the GT) with less than

Customer Question

Hello Good morning My wife has a 2006 PT Cruiser (not the GT) with less than 80K miles and auto trans. we have been experiencing problems with the "check engine light". It seems to come and go but triggers the auto transmission to stay in second gear as
a safety measure default according to our local mechanic.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I scanned for the codes (with my OBD 2 Pocket Scanner) these are what I got: P0700/P1603/P0138
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken the car to mechanics twice and each time I have done this the car sets for few hours and when mechanic starts the engine the "Check Engine" light is off and no codes are available. One mechanic hooked scanner up and drove car for 15 minutes...Nothing happens. this is clearly an intermittent problem I am sure we have not been the only PT Cruiser owner with this dilemma. So I have decided to check with you experts. I am mechanical and understands the dynamics of automobiles and have performed basic repairs to this PT Cruiser .... but I am frustrated and limited to understanding the computer side of newer cars. I like prefer driving old Fords BC (before computers) they never die and leave you stranded without a warning.... Got 400K 360 v-8 and 479K on big 300 in line.... the heads have never been off either one. Old trucks I love them "they never die" . The PT Cruiser I like it but "Nickel and Dime" problems add up to thousands of $ and not even 80K on the odometer. I appreciate your advice in this problem
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a PCM problem from the p1603. The P0700 is a generic transmission fault and with no other codes I wouldn't start looking at the transmission without eliminating the PCM as a possible cause. The p0138 is an oxygen sensor fault, which could also be caused by the PCM.

Here is the method to diagnose the PCM:

1. Monitor the powers and grounds to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), especially the ignition feeds at pin 11 and 12 of the C1 PCM connector.

2. If a power or ground supply is going away or getting weak when the problem occurs and the trouble codes set, repair that circuit.

3. If the power and ground supplies remain constant during the code setting, replace the PCM.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is the diagnostic chart from Chrysler.

Sorry for the brief response, but I'm headed to lunch, but wanted to get started before I take off for an hour. I'll be back shortly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional information. I would also appreciate a positive rating if I have been of some assistance. Thanks!