Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My 2001 ghlander sometimes does not shift into overdrive.

Customer Question

My 2001 highlander sometimes does not shift into overdrive. CEL indicated P0330 knock sensor...so I had the knock sensor replaced. Just drove the vehicle and CEL came back on and after about 10 minutes of driving at speeds of 60 to 70 mph and OD working just fine. My return home was a different story as the max speed could go was 50 pulling RPMs 3000 to 3500. Not sure what the next step(s) should be. Vehicle has 173k miles.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.

Did you perform the work yourself?

Were both knock sensors replaced?

Was the knock sensor wire also replaced?