Adam Legler
Adam Legler,
Experience:  Service Advisor at Antero Automotive
87664109

2003 saturn vue vt25e wont go past 30 mph

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you with your concern.

I remember working on various VUEs that featured the CVT transmission. If I recall, the VT25e was only used for a year or so until they went back to the conventional automatic or the manual.

This transmission is extremely sensitive to fluid level. Also, do you have any DTC's in the P07xx range? Then you rebuilt this transmission, did you replace the fluid pump assembly WITH the relief valve?? And are you using the green CVT fluid?

Stepping aside from the transmission for a moment, have you checked the engine side of things? Any DTC's stored in the ECM? Is the reduced power light on? These do have electronic throttles which across almost all GM models I have replaced multiple pedal assemblies and throttle bodies for APP issues.

Let me know if any of this helps. I look forward to assisting you with your concern and please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right now I have two of these transmissions with the same symptom one of them did have the b.1882 code but after doing the shift calibration the code disappeared but I still have the same symptomone of the transmissions had a broken belt the other transmission was just sleeping because they had the wrong fluid in it

Hello again, thank you for the reply. You must be referring to the P1882 code. Have you read thru GM's TSB on this issue? It is number 05-07-30-004 and refers to internal fluid leaks being the cause. They state to replace the transaxle case cover, torque converter and oil cooler lines (if necessary). It also states the oil cooler lines were updated to eliminate the oil bypass valve. There was one recorded instance where the torque converter was replaced to correct this issue, however no further info was given. Let me know if this info helps and how I can be of further assistance! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have access to this manual. So I have not been able to read any of that. if you could elaborate a little bit more on these fluid leaks I would appreciate it. The one transmission repair had a broken belt. the other transmission like I said all it was was bad fluid or the wrong fluid. I've rebuilt several of these before so I know I haven't missed anything internally that I can think of they're actually quite easy to rebuild once you've done one.is it safe to say that I can rule out the ratio control motor or anything else in the valve body?

Unfortunately the TSB does not elaborate on the internal fluid leaks. Its a little long winded but this is what the TSB states:

P1882 recorded.

In many cases, the condition is intermittent and is not easily duplicated by the retailer.

Cause

The condition may be caused by an internal fluid leak allowing excessive belt slip at the sheaves or forward clutch due to low pressure. As a result of low internal transaxle pressure, the torque converter and turbine shaft seals can overheat due to low converter feed pressure.

Correction

Replace VT25E transaxle case cover, torque converter and oil cooler lines, if necessary.

Service Procedure

Important: Vehicles produced or equipped with prior design transaxle oil cooler lines containing the bypass valve will need to be replaced with the newer design transaxle oil cooler lines, P/N 22724408. Vehicles produced or equipped with the newer design transaxle oil cooler lines, P/N 22724408, do not have the oil bypass valve as part of the assembly and will not require replacement. The newer design oil cooler lines can be flushed at the same time as the oil cooler and re-used after proper cleaning.

1. Drain transmission fluid. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Transmission Fluid Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION SI Document ID #881890, 2003-2005 VUE SI Document ID #1194852).
  2. Remove VT25E Transaxle Assembly. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Transmission Replacement procedure (2003 -2004 ION SI Document ID# ***** 2003 VUE SI Document ID #1194864, 2004-2005 VUE SI Document ID #1344382).
  3. Replace Transaxle Case Cover Assembly. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Case Cover Assembly Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION and 2003-2005 VUE Removal SI Document ID #831161, Installation SI Document ID #831210).
  4. Replace Torque Converter. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Torque Converter Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION and 2003-2005 VUE Removal SI Document ID #831155, Installation SI Document ID #831222).
  5. Flush Transaxle Oil Cooler. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Automatic Transaxle Oil Cooler Flushing procedure (2003-2004 ION and 2003-2005 VUE SI Document ID #888492).
  6. Replace oil cooler lines. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Oil Cooler Line Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION SI Document ID #902645, 2003-2004 VUE SI Document ID #1194858, 2005 VUE SI Document ID #14860111).
  7. Install VT25E Transaxle Assembly. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Transmission Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION SI Document ID #873048, 2003 VUE SI Document ID #1194864, 2004-2005 VUE SI Document ID #1344382).
  8. Fill transmission fluid. Refer to the appropriate model year Saturn Service Manual for the Transmission Fluid Replacement procedure (2003-2004 ION SI Document ID #881890, 2003-2005 VUE SI Document ID #1194852).

Let me do a little reading and see what I can find for you as far as specifics to the internals of the transmission and what this is referring to as far as "problem spots". Please be patient with me and I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Thank you!

There was one additional instance I found that had dealer "shine" in the TCM connector. They found it by disconnecting it and then actually driving the vehicle to test for a change in operation. I can safely say in 13 years I've never tried to drive a vehicle without the TCM connected...try that at your own risk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what exactly do you mean by shine

That spray-on junk that used car dealers spray on the entire vehicle to make it look new under the hood, its like tire shine. I've replaced a lot of belts because of that junk. Its usually sprayed on very liberally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

out of the last 5 of these i rebuilt 3 of them had this same issue.. one of them i replaced the ratio control motor in and when the customer told me the problem. i reinstalled the original ratio control motr and it worked fine after that. is there any resetting that needs to be done to the pcm or tcm or TC adaptive parameters after reinstalling the tranny?

I'm glad to hear you've done so many. In my experience a lot of issues found with these has to do with improper fluid level and/or type. After reading thru a couple repair procedures, tech articles, and TSBs, in combination with my personal experience I did not find anything about flashing the TCM, however, I'm a firm believer in having the most updated calibrations available. There are a lot of "issues" that have been sourced from poor programming. Most modern vehicles do have so type of Dynamic Driver Adaptations which adjust shifts (on a reg. tranny) to the way the owner drives, and that should be able to be done with any factory level scan tool. Do you have one? If so there may be some info via the PIDS that we can look at.

It sounds like when you replaced the one ratio control motor that you may have had a bad part. Was it aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

actually the ratio control motor came out of another transmission that worked the only reason I switched it is because the position didn't look the same as they usually do so I was concerned that it may have been bad and I can't scan the transmission because I actually repaired it for another transmission shop they're the ones that are having the problems with it I'm trying to find out some answers for them

I see, that's the hardest, been down that road with sublets in the past. It sounds to me like you might need to get your hands on it and confirm everything. From our conversation it seems you're very versed in the VT25 which is extremely rare to find. Correct me if I'm wrong but you may be able to more effectively diagnose the concern if you're there. That way you can confirm the fluid level, make sure there are no additional DTCs, check that connector on the TCM, and maybe even read some data from the scan tool.

I know that is probably not the answer you're looking for, but one thing I've found in my career is the hardest thing to diagnose is human error. Let me know if you decide to go over to the other shop and what you find, I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that sounds like a good idea I'll see about actually getting the vehicle in my hands and then maybe we can work something out where I can give you a call or you can call me I'll let you know when I have the vehicle

Sounds great, keep me in the loop. And as always, thank you for your question and please let me know how I can be of help. Thank you!