Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

My DTS will not start because on the console it's stuck in

Customer Question

My DTS will not start because on the console it's stuck in Drive, even though I can move the gear shaft up and down with no problem. How can I get it out of "drive"?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with it saying it is still drive with the shifter in park position will the car roll ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Not in Park. It will roll when I shift it to neutral or drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do to get the car out of drive?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if the transmission is physically being shifted into park as you can also open the hod and on top of the transmission on the drivers side top make sure # ***** the shift cable is still attached to the transmission shift lever

can you be sure the shift cable is still connected like the picture here # ***** ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure the cable is still attached like the picture. How do I get the car out of drive?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there is no way to get it out of drive physically since the shifter is actually shifting the transmission into park

there is an internal mode switch inside the transmission that tells the TCM what gear it is in and then the TCM tells the other computers if its in park or not

the problem you have is the computers think the car is in drive when it is not this is g=due to a bad internal mode switch or wiring from the TCM to the transmission or the big transmission connector being loose or knocked off the transmission make sure that big connector is plugged into the transmission

if that big plug is plugged in and clean and tight the car needs a scan tool pluged into and you need to see next if the TCM is showing the transmission in park or not

if its not and you can communicate with the TCM then the mode switch inside the transmission is more than likely bad if the TCM will not communicate at all then the connection at the TCM is bad or the TCM is bad itself

I am sorry to say there is no way to physically get that switch or TCM to read park when it is not getting the signal from the mode switch in the transmission