Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years of practical experience in the automotive industry
2947720

I have a 2002 Ford ZX2 with manual trans and DOHC. It shakes

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford ZX2 with manual trans and DOHC. It shakes and bucks intermittently between gears. I have replace PCV valve and hose, plugs, wires, ignition module and have tested fuel pressure. It runs slightly better when plugging off vacuum line to fuel rail module. No codes are stored or present.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6msz1z9mf4igek2/FORD%20Focus.pdf?dl=0

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the dealer and they won't confirm the TSB. They say that I have to make an appointment and have a complete diagnostic before they can give me an answer. The whole reason I gave you a try was to avoid this situation. I was an ASE mechanic and I'm stumped and frustrated. It was unusual, not impossible for an intermittent problem to be linked with PCM. I'll rate your answer after I cough up the additional $125 for the dealer and when the advice works.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. Yes sometimes the dealerships are that way. You may want see if they will just read the calibration numbers from the PCM, that way we can see if they the ones that are involved. That takes all of 2 minutes, thanks

Oh, and that is not 'advise' it is a factory service bulletin for that exact problem.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.