Marty
Marty, Bosch Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch certified master technician. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I just bought a 95 s320 off Craigslist. The guy had said it

Customer Question

I just bought a 95 s320 off Craigslist. The guy had said it didnt shift pass 3rd gear. When we went for a test drive it only hit 40 but if you would step hard or let go of the gas and step on it it would some how catch to next gear a go faster. But anyways i bought it for $1000 and within an hour the car over heated i think due to high revs from the gears not changing right at times. So i was at a light and i gave it gas and it only went to 5mph and i parked it on the side of the street, turned it off and waited for it to cool from 100 to 80 and it wouldnt even take off anymore. And the reverse was already messed up i had to give it gas slowly for it to work. What do i need to do?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the new car. It sounds like the transmission is either low on fluid or it needs an overhaul. The first thing you need to do is check the fluid level in the transmission with the engine running. If there is fluid in the transmission I think you are going to need to rebuild or replace the transmission. It sounds like it was already going bad when you bought the car.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty