sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I just changed the clutch because the throw out bearing

Customer Question

Hi George , I just changed the clutch because the throw out bearing disintegrated. .. all was ok , except shifting into 1 and reverse was slightly more difficult. ... I've tried aligning the shift plate that holds the shift cables in place ... to no avail. ..it was barely shiftable when I loosened the 3 bolts with the rubber bushings. There seems to be excessive play on the main bushing of the primary shift cable end ....at the trans
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The play in the cable end bushing is what is causing the problem. There should be no play in the bushing, the play is allowing the shifter to move before the arm at the trans does, this lash is preventing full movement of the arm on the trans and therefore the shift forks in the trans. You'll either need to be replace the bushing itself, which you'll be able to obtain aftermarket, or you can replace the shift cable assembly.