cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

My daughter has a 1999 Kia Sportage automatic 4wd. About a

Customer Question

Hi my daughter has a 1999 Kia Sportage automatic 4wd. About a both ago the hold button on her gearshift broke and it would not release and the car was not shifting into 4th gear. My husband removed the button and now she is having a problem with the car wanting to die. My husband knows a lot about cars but not familiar with Kia's his computer is showing 2 error codes 1624 and 0440. He is checking the hose where you put in the gas to see if it needs to be tightened or replaced since there is a gasoline smell when you put gas in the car for a few minutes he thinks this is the problem for 0440 code but he is uncertain about the 1624 code with what we have read it appears this could be linked to the hold button he removed please help....
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

The ECM needs proper ground to operate properly,P1624 this is the TCM (transmission control module) signal to ECM. Inspect for proper ground especailly at the ECM,start at the battery negative to body and engine grounds, As for the temperature climbing quick coolant leaks,faulty thermostat,and the cooling fan being non operational

5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused I did not say anything about the temperature climbing I only ask about the HOLD button on the gearshift and if that would cause the vehicle to idle very slow and to act like it was going to die all the time. When I clear codes from the computer the car runs fine through one drive cycle then the problem reoccurs. My question is if I replace that button should this fix the problem and where can I find this button we do not have a KIA dealership anywhere near where we live.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

You can order the button online have it shipped to you the code you was getting is being caused by the tcm not communicating with ecm that is why I was giving you the information on it replacing the button could fix the problem and I would use parts geek.com to order it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the technical name for the button I have searched for hold button on gear shift and nothing is coming up.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

It the shift lock release but I haven't been able to find one it looks like it only comes as part of the gear shift I am sorry