Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

Looking (cheaper) do -it - myself fixes 2005 GMC Sierra

Customer Question

Looking for easy (cheaper) do -it - myself fixes for my 2005 GMC Sierra HD1500 service 4wd indicator. GMC dealer wants $550.00 to fix. Figured out that if I turn ignition switch off, 4wd switch works fine after I restart until the service 4wd indicator shows up. Also, if I cycle it thru 4wd low and 2wd high a couple of times,(cluck - cluck)the indicator light don't come on for quit awhile. Is it the switch or the differential module?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not differential...transfer case module!! Tranny has always shifted fine but ever once in awhile it feels like it slips on take off. Looking at 4wd switch, the indicator light might be on 4wd low, or neutral, or not on at all. Stop, turn ignition off and back on, all is good until about a mile down the road. As long as the service 4wd indicator light is not on, 4wd works fine. There is 128,000 miles on the truck.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

do you have any access to a scan tool or are able to have the 4WD codes checked for what code numbers are setting in the 4WD system ?