Jon F
Jon F, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge tech
62301042

1997 f-150 manual transmission. clutch seems to grab/release

Customer Question

1997 f-150 manual transmission. clutch seems to grab/release causing the whole truck to shudder when starting off in 1st and reverse. The higher the rpms the worse it gets. starts smoother in with low rpms when releasing the clutch. Engine is rebuilt and clutch was done about 3+ years but only 20K ago. I don't use the truck as much.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jon F replied 1 year ago.

Hi, that shuddering is caused by either a warped flywheel or pressure plate. The transmission will have to come out to fix it. You could either replace the flywheel or take it to a machine shop to get resurfaced. I'd get a new clutch kit with a pressure plate and throw out bearing while you're there, it really doesn't make sense to replace the pressure plate and not the clutch disc.

Expert:  Jon F replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with?