Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a Ford Explorer 5.0 1998 with awd. It is slow to

Customer Question

I have a Ford Explorer 5.0 1998 with awd.
It is slow to engaged in forward and reverse is this likely a solinoid issue or more likely a valve body or something else
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

A solenoid issue will not effect D and R engagement. Valve body valves sticking or scored or low line pressure will cause this concern.

Are you sure the filter is correctly seated and the fluid condition is good?

Can you run a lone pressure test?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do all my own car repairs and for friends and family, I don't have a method of checking transmission pressure test.Let me give you a little history on this vehicle.About December time replaced the front drive shaft the spline end had gone bad, and drive shaft removed for several months and vehicle just running in rear wheel drive. One the replacement drive shaft was installed everything was working well but after 4 months same issue with the driveshaft it went bad again and was removed and not replaced, about 3 months after that this issue of the explorer not engaging into drive and reverse started.I drained all the fluid from the transmission pan and replaced with mercon v and replaced the filter. I did not drain the torque conveter.With the issues of the drive shaft wondering if something else may be going on maybe the transfer case being bad?Also I have read that a bad range sensor on the 4r70w could cause issues?What are your thoughts and what would the best action be to check what's going on?

Is the 4x4 AWD or auto/4 high/4 low?

Over the course of the driveshaft issues, did all for tires match brand, size, age, and tread depth?

Normally a TR issue will result in not being able to start in P or N or an engagement issue into one gear, not both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 4r70w transmission with awd all tires worn approx the same and same size etc.

The viscous coupling inside the transfer case could be locked up providing to much power to the front axle causing the driveshaft failure but this should have no bearing on the transmission issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the transfer case will play no part in delay in travel, so what are the best things I can do to help revive the transmission or what sort of price would a transmission shop charge and what work would be involved at a shop.

You doing it yourself without diag would possibly result in money spent that does not help. At a shop they would diagnose it first to see if it requires removal and overhaul or a repair that can be done with the transmission installed. Estimate as low as 500 up to 1800$

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS it worth my time trying to use any kind of additives to clean/free the valves? If so what do you recommend?Also with the transfer case is there a way to test if it is locked up?As this is a '98 explorer am I best just having a used transmission and transfer case put in? If so what makes and model vehicles can I use without modification?

Additives can not help this kind of issue. A used trans and transfer would need to come from a 98-01 explorer or mountaineer that has the exact same driveline. If the vehicle binds in a full turn on pavement, then the transfer case is locked up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no binding on full lock, but right now I have no drive shaft powering the front. I'm guessing you can't test that way without a driveshaft and don't want to put the money into fixing the driveshaft if the transmission is shot.I have the option right now of buying a used transfer case and used rear driveshaft and new front drive shaft for $ 150Count the issue with the front drive shaft going bad be caused by the front differential? Or would it have to be the transfer case that caused the issue?What is the procedure for replacing the valve body on the transmission? Do I need any special tools.

The drive shaft has to be installed to test the transfer case. The front differential would be making some horrible noise shaft in or not if the differential were to blame. I sent a invite to you earlier that allows me to upload files to show you how to replace the valve body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received the invite for the valve body picturedBTW thank you for all your help

Sending it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the sounds of it the transfer case has to be bad, is there anyway possible that the transfer case could be the cause of all of my problems?

The transfer case can not cause the transmission issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still don't have the pictures
What if the viscous coupling was slipping for the first few seconds and then engaging? Or is this a chain drive?

You have to accept the offer I have sent now twice which allows me to upload files.

The transfer case has a clutch and chain that supplies power to the front axle, there is nothing interfering with the drive to the rear axle in the transfer case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not received an offer to see pictures

Sending another one now, 3 total so far. Are you checking your email?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking email website and text

You can see below where I have sent it.

Would you like customer service to help you?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/offer%20proposed..png

I assume your all set being you did not accept the offer nor reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still did not get the offer, added a can of seafoam trans tune last night after just 2 minutes of running shifts and drives better than ever,will run it a few days and will drain fluid in the pan and torque converter and refill

Super news.