Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

My 1997 dodge dakota has a rebuilt V8 engine and I just

Customer Question

My 1997 dodge dakota has a rebuilt V8 engine and I just replaced the manual transmission. Periodically the speedometer drops to zero while I am driving. If I put in the clutch when this happens the engine dies but will start by starter or by roll start and drive OK. I had a custom chip done when I installed the rebuilt engine. Where is my problem likely to be.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common caused for the type of problem you are having can be caused by a failing speed sensor and or the connection to it. I would start with checking the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there to get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the codes checked and it does say it is the speed sensor
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the code is indicating a problem with the speed sensor and the connection to it is clean and tight then you likely have a failing speed sensor which will affect the speedometer as well.