ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

Transmission issue on a 2001 Audi A6 quattro 4.2L engine,

Customer Question

Transmission issue on a 2001 Audi A6 quattro 4.2L engine, transmission code FBC Car came in with transmission problem. Car would start out in first gear, and then before it would shift to 2nd, it will default into 5th gear or limp mode . The transmission
fluid was drained and was black with metal in it. I figured we needed another trans We got a used unit with 100k on it and installed it even though the fluid we drained out it was black and smelled like cat urine, the salvage yard said install it and if its
bad, they will warranty the labor. We installed it and it gave us the same symptoms. The output speed sensor showed a signal of 0 after installation and the input signal showed a signal of 500 on our snap on scan tool. We replaced the output speed sensor with
another used one and still got a 0 signal. We had it towed to an import garage, and he checked the fluid level and tCM and said the TCM had an address with his VAG comm software and said the trans was bad. This transmission did however drive and shift a little
bit, but it slipped a lot, but got it back to the shop. We drained the fluid and only after driving it for 5 miles, the trans fluid smelled burned and black. The salave yard sent us another transmission. We installed it and we yet again have the same exact
problem that we had with the first 2 transmissions. Output speed sensor shows a 0 and it drives in 1st gear only and when it shifts into 2nd, it defaults into 5th gear and has no power and sounds like its slipping. The only reason I know its going into 5th
if because the scanner is telling me what gear its in. Is it a coincidence that we have 2 bad transmissions from the salvage yard with the same exact symptoms or is there another problem? TCM maybe?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
While it is common to get multiple bad transmissions from a salvage yard, it is about impossible to get them with the exact same symptoms.
While I dont think it is bad, double check the wiring at the transmission for broken, crimped, cut wiring and repair as needed. If ok as I suspect, replace the tcm.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help.Will you open this up to CLASCO JA or WOLFGANG please?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you open this up to CLASCO? He is waiting for you to release the question to him. Thanks