Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 96 Ford F-250 with a 7.3 liter powerstroke diesel

Customer Question

I have a 96 Ford F-250 with a 7.3 liter powerstroke diesel and I think my transmission could be going out. I am the trucks second owner and it has 250000miles on, 20000 of those miles were put on it by me.
It seems to operate at higher Rpms than it should and when you are coasting and give it some throttle it acts as if it's in neutral for a second and revs up for a second and then the transmission seems to engage and the revs drop before the truck starts to accelerate. I am wondering what is causing this and how much time and money it could cost me to fix.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Your description makes it look like the converter clutch is not engaging and the coast clutch is not holding. The transmission has to be removed to address these. Worst case scenario for removal, overhaul, parts, install. Would be about 1600$.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris