ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

Transmission Problem. Went to get gas and when i came home i

Customer Question

Transmission Problem. Went to get gas and when i came home i put the car in park it seemed to roll forward a bit before stopping. When I went out later to use the car it would not start - everything else worked, but would not start (absolutely nothing when I turned the key). Went online and it was suggested to put in neutral and it would start. Sure enough it did. Put it in gear and drove around block and things seemed to be back to normal. No trouble with shifting, etc. Took the car to go shopping and when we went to come home same deal - needed to put into neutral to start (this time I needed to use the shift lock override to move the gearshift - stiff gear shift movement). Put into reverse to back out of parking space and when I went to put into forward, it would not go into gear - instead goes to neutral. Cannot get into forward gear even though gear shift is in the drive position. Also now the gear shift is locked into the drive position on the consol and will not move regardless of what I do. Indicator lights on dash do not match where actual gear shift position is. Can not get key out of ignition. Had it towed to my local mechanic who initially thought it was a shift cable that had broken or come lose. He has disconnected the cable and is not able to get the transmission to "release". He said shaft that goes down into the transmission from the gearshift mechanism is almost impossible to move. From what he tells me that is where the gear shift is attached to the transmission. Up until yesterday, absolutely no problem and we had no problem when we were still able to drive it before it locked up. Any idea where we can go from here to fix the problem.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Atop the transmission is the transmission range switch. The mechanic needs to test it for proper operation and replace if bad.
If good, then the shaft that it attaches to and goes into the transmission has either broken or become disconnected and will require dropping the transmission and opening up for inspection and repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answer. According to my mechanic range switch is not the problem and the shaft is not broken or disconnected. He said he can get the shaft to turn but it is extremely tight. It shifts when the shaft is forced to turn manually, but it is extremely stiff. Is there a reason that it seems to have gotten so stiff. Is there anything that can be done without dropping the transmission to free it up? What would have caused this to happen all of a sudden with no prior warning? Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
On the end of the shaft is a fork that changes the gear inside the transmission. If the shaft is not broken or disconnected, which you cannot really by sure until you drop the transmission and open it up, then that fork is either binding or the shaft it moves is binding or broken.
Unfortunately there is no alternative to dropping the transmission for inspection and repair in this case. There has been an internal failure of the shifting mechanisms inside the transmission.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no luck in getting things resolved. I told my mechanic to do what he needs to do to get the car working. It is my daughters car who now has one of my cars in Pittsburgh. We need another car quickly so I told him to get it fixed. My mechanic is stumped over why the shaft became so stiff so suddenly. Looks like we will be dropping the transmission to see what is wrong. Was out of town today so I did not a report from him today. I will keep you informed. Any other ideas as to hat could have happened would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I will go back over the diagrams of the transmission shifter shaft and related parts to see if I am missing something and if I find anything, I will post it here