Jon F
Jon F, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge tech
62301042

How many miles can I expect [lemons excepted] to get out of

Customer Question

How many miles can I expect [lemons excepted] to get out of the Inline-6 transmission?
3.7 V-6 ?
If you were looking to buy used [I am looking for under $10,000... hopefully no more than 130,000 miles] any specific years recommended.. the best? Looking at all the reviews, crash tests, complaints etc. I am coming down to an '03, '06 or '07 [?]
Thanks!!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jon F replied 1 year ago.

Hi, what vehicle are you looking to purchase? I'm assuming a Chrysler Jeep Dodge with a 3.7.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh... right! I've been so single-mindedly focused on the Jeep I forgot to put that part in. Although... I selected a tab that said it was taking me to a Jeep expert, so made the assumption we were already there :)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / preferably Limited / Laredo fine as well, but would really like to have the leather. I do not need the V8. Drove 1996 Country for years and loved it. Went great with a little tlc here and there along the way...
Biggest thing I am afraid of is having to turn right around and replace a transmission or engine... cannot afford that.
Expert:  Jon F replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the 03 is a different body style. With the 4.0 straight 6, it has a 42RE transmission. In general the 4.0 is a very reliable engine especially if it was maintained. The transmission also is if it was maintained. The 05, 06 grand Cherokee's with a 3.7 v6 will have a NAG1 transmission. Those transmissions are built by Mercedes and have proven reliability in a lot of Mercedes and Chrysler Jeep Dodge vehicles. Both transmissions have their issues but in general hold up pretty well. If I was to say out of those 2, I'd go with the newer 05-10 body style. I'd have to rate the NAG1 trans better that the 42RE. Definitely have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy one. Some of the NAG1 transmissions don't have a trans dipstick so if you're going to check it out yourself, the dipstick is a "special tool" and you'd definitely want to check the fluid level and condition to see if it looks/smells burnt etc. Here is a link for a dipstick: http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Transmission-Dipstick/dp/B00NNXHNCO

Expert:  Jon F replied 1 year ago.

Can I help you with anything else?