Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

My Allison transmission in a chevy duramax blew a seal and

Customer Question

My Allison transmission in a chevy duramax blew a seal and stopped shifting correctly, only going into first and second. It was shut down after about five miles. Would it probably have done damage or would it be normal to fix the seal and everything get back to normal?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. It is not common for this transmission just to blow a seal. It can start to have slow leaks from age, but if a seal actually "blew" out most of the time that is due to an internal issue. It can as simple as a clogged vent or it can be more serious. Which seal actually blew out?