ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

1998 saturn SL2 automatic transmission does not shift into

Customer Question

1998 saturn SL2 automatic transmission does not shift into 2nd gear or reverse. Is a remanufactured transmission required?
I was wondering if there is a less expensive alternative than to replace the transmission.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
If it was just having an issue with 2nd gear, I would say a possiblity of a shift solenoid or pressure switch, but because it has no reverse, this changes it as reverse is solely operated by the hydraulics and mechanics of a transmission. Most likely the low/reverse bands and clutches are worn out.
This unfortunately requires either a rebuild or replacement. A rebuild of yours is a few hundred cheaper than a remanufactured transmission but unless you have someone local that specializes in rebuilding transmissions, you are better off in the long run with a remanufactured transmission.
Wish I had better news for you
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks