sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My one owner 2000 Durango automatic transmission won't

Customer Question

My one owner 2000 Durango automatic transmission won't engage...the shifter will move, but the car remains in park. ???? jmpartington (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming the shifter moves with little resistance.

If the shifter moves with little resistance and the trans stays in park then you have a linkage issue. The shift cable could be off at the shifter, the trans, or it could be broken. The arm on the trans that the cable connects to may also be off. It attaches to the vale body manual valve lever with a pinch bolt, sometimes these will loosen up and the arm falls off.

With the emergency brake set and/or wheels chocked slide underneath and find the shift cable on the left side. Ensure that the arm is still attached to the trans and see that the cable is still attached to the arm and the bracket that holds it to the trans. If everything is intact then you'd need to move to the steering column. If the cable is actually attached at both ends but not moving at the trans then the cable is broken.