Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I own a 2013 Hyundai Elantra that will not start nor will it

Customer Question

I own a 2013 Hyundai Elantra that will not start nor will it shift out of park if the horn fuse is in place. If the fuse is removed the car will start and shift into gear. Car has only 17,000 miles on it. Manufacture date is Oct of 2013
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Looking over the horn fuse circuit, it only powers the horn relay. So either someone has done some odd wiring repairs to the vehicle and or added something electrical to the vehicle on this circuit or you have an internal issue with the engine fuse box causing these issues.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, There appears to be no add on wiring to the horn circuit nor shorting at the fuse box. I was concerned that there was a security circuit that may have been triggered and not reset. That by powering up the horn circuit it may have resulted in feed back into the security circuit causing a no start condition. This is just guessing. I do not have a good wiring diagram nor hands on knowledge of this vehicle. I was hoping for a factory trained technician on the Hyundai that may have seen this problem. before. The vehicle seems to be subject to electrical problems as per the web.I am not a professional mechanic but have been repairing my vehicles for many years.If you can provide a wiring diagram and the location of the horn relay I will try disconnecting the horns then the relay power supply and then if the car will start try isolating any wiring associated with other circuits coming off the relay. This vehicle was obtained used and the horn fuse was removed at the time we got the car. My biggest concern is that this may be an ECM defect that could get worse. David

Below are the diagrams for the horn.