ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

I replaced the transfer case on a '01 4 runner a month ago.

Customer Question

I replaced the transfer case on a '01 4 runner a month ago. 4wd will not engage. The indicator lights blink. A shop looked it over and said it was probably the front actuator. Does this sound right? Is the actuator part of the diff?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Yes, that does sound like the actuator is faulty. It is inside the transfer case and is part of the transfer case that was just replaced, so if you had a shop that did the replacement, it should be under warranty.
If you replaced it, then it should be under a parts warranty if it was a new or remanufactured transfer case assembly. If it was a junkyard one, it may or may not be under warranty depending upon if the junkyard you got it from gives a warranty on salvage parts.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The transmission shop say the actuator in the transfer case is working and that there is actuator on the front axial and locks the front actual. I know there is also a sensor the tell the front aviator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry hit the bottom too soon..The shop says the sensor shows on the computer, so the front diff actuator is the problem. Before I start replacing parts would like to know it a reasonable diagnosis.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
If the sensor is reading properly, then they are correct. I could confirm this if you could get the readings from the sensor that the shop got when they tested it.