ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

My girlfriend was driving the boxster and called to say it

Customer Question

My girlfriend was driving the boxster and called to say it was slipping in and out of gear while on the highway. The car would move, then it would just rev, then catch again on and off all the way home. I had it towed into a shop and the rear seal was gone and the oil had all leaked out . I had a new seal put in and the car went well for a few days until I went over a high curb. I was backing up and did not see there was no ramp, the car made a very loud bang noise and then when I put it in forward it just revved. I did reverse/forward a few times as it slipped both ways and then it caught and went well for a few miles. It then started to slip, catch, slip catch until now it doesn't catch at all. The shifter moves easily but it just revs in forward and reverse. After spending the $1400 to have the seals repaired I am told it could need a new tranny. There are no porsche mechanics in the town I'm in so this is just a mechanic at a garage telling me this. Is there something else that could be causing the issue as it went well till I dropped over the curb.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Most likely a shell, drum or band cracked when you dropped it over the curb, based upon both when it started happening as well as symptoms. It is going to need to be dropped and torn down to find which and then depending upon the extent of the damage, overhaul or install another transmission. If you are not where you have a Porsche specialist, then I would opt for another transmission rather than someone not experienced in the nuances of Porsche transmissions attempting to rebuild it completely. You might be returning to the shop monthly for further repairs due to inexperience in these transmissions.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now had the car towed to an out of town Porsche dealer that is experienced with my car. I was told by the garage that it was at that they found a high quantity of metal shavings attached to the magnets in the tranny oil pan. Because of this they said I need a new tranny as thee is evidence of grinding going on
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
A large quantity of metal shavings is indicative of internal transmission damage and along with other symptoms indicate the transmission has failed and will need to be rebuilt or replaced
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?