Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Clearing a P1868 Transmission Fluid Life fault in the AT

Customer Question

Clearing a P1868 Transmission Fluid Life fault in the AT control unit. Serviced Fluid, Reset fluid life to 100%,Cleared faults. Per P1868 still in AT control unit.
DTC P1868 (AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE - 4T40-E/4T45-E) Document ID#(###) ###-####
DTC P1868
Circuit Description
The TCM contains a program to keep track of transaxle fluid life remaining. The program uses run time and transaxle fluid temperature to determine fluid life remaining. When fluid life remaining is less than 5 percent, DTC P1868 sets.
DTC Parameters
DTC P1868 will set if TCM detects the fluid life counter is less than 5 percent remaining when DTC P0711, P0712 and P0713 have not set.
DTC P1868 is a type C DTC.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DTC P1868 (AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE - 4T40-E/4T45-E) Document ID#(###) ###-####DTC P1868Circuit DescriptionThe TCM contains a program to keep track of transaxle fluid life remaining. The program uses run time and transaxle fluid temperature to determine fluid life remaining. When fluid life remaining is less than 5 percent, DTC P1868 sets.DTC ParametersDTC P1868 will set if TCM detects the fluid life counter is less than 5 percent remaining when DTC P0711, P0712 and P0713 have not set.DTC P1868 is a type C DTC.Diagnostic Aids
•Perform a fluid and filter change.
•Clear code and reset oil life remaining to 100 percent."Portions of materials contained herein have been reprinted with permission of General Motors Corporation, Service and Parts Operations" License Agreement #0410810.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Verify the fluid temp sensor is reading correct and below 240 degrees while driving. If that is good then replace the fluid once again and reset the TCM. If it still occurs then its the TCM needing to be replaced.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,
Fluid temp was 81'F at reset,104'F when checking fluid level. again at ambient temp 81'F the following day after disconnecting the battery over night in a futile attempt to clear the DTC.
Is your response based on a personal experience with having difficulty performing a AT fluid life reset on a 4T45E ?
or a speculation that draining and refilling again with fluid at the same ambient temp will resolve the issue.
I only ask this as I need hard facts as to why this is occurring not speculation. If you have had a personal experience please direct me to documentation that outlines what is required when a reset does not take.

I have only had this code once, but there were other issues that required an overhaul to address, and no specific tasks were done to resolve this code alone. GM says service the fluid and reset the life counter. Nothing more nothing less, and nothing beyond that. I checked on what other techs did for this concern, and outlined that in my response.