Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

2003 Jaguar XJ 8, 83,000 mi. Often, when putting in gear,

Customer Question

2003 Jaguar XJ 8, 83,000 mi. Often, when putting in gear, either forward or reverse, and sometimes while in gear from a standing start, the engine spins up before the trans sharply engages, sometimes "chirping" the tires. Otherwise, once started, the trans shows no adverse symptoms. Just serviced, replaced fluid and filters.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I apologize for any delay.

If your vehicle fits in the VIN range of either A00083-A30644 or F00103-F59525 (these would be the last digits of your vehicles VIN number) there is a bulletin out on an issue very close to this here with delayed engagement.The bulletin number is ***** to replace the transmission control module (TCM).If it doesn't fit within this bulletins vin range or this has already been checked this can be a fault with the transmission pressure control/regulating solenoid in the transmission valve body failing needing replaced as this can be common or an issue with the transmission valve body itself.To find out for sure which component is the cause here this will need tested further with a transmission fluid pressure test gauge and other test equipment to pinpoint the cause here.

Thanks Pete