Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

Transmisison Judder - 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 193K mi I have

Customer Question

Transmisison Judder - 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 193K mi I have had the car since it had 90K on it and have had the judder on and off for quite some time. The fluid changes have helped but it was there very soon again or came back. My question is this...
what is the life of the transmission in the Civic (CVT) and should I even worry about a replacement (my transmission works well except the judder). I have done research online and know of the burnishing procedure. I have done this one time since I bought the
car and that was last night to see if there was an improvement. No real improvement overall. I don't want to spend the cash on a replacement if it is going to suffer from the same issues (like the Honda CVT is known for) or if anything major on the car is
also going to go. The IMA light is on, but planning to change that out as well.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. You have actually gone a little further than the usual life expectancy of this transmission. Most of the time they do not go much past 175,000 miles. With that being said I have had these same symptoms on customer vehicles and they have continued to drive it for 25,000+ more miles without any issues. It all depends on how hard you are on the vehicle. You more than likely do not need it to be done any time soon. I would take care of the IMA issue as soon as possible though as that can cause other issues. Please let me know if you need more help.