internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

My 2006 Hyundai Elantra gls, 4 cyl. bucks when shifting from

Customer Question

My 2006 Hyundai Elantra gls, 4 cyl. bucks when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear after it's warmed up a little bit. Isn't throwing codes. 101k miles
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, make that 106k, replaced it with 101k tranny
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Hyundai tech.

can you please retrieve the code so I can help you.

You could retrieve the code by scanning the car's computer using an OBD2 scanner.

The auto stores have that tool if you needed it.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Autozone can do it for you free of charge if preferred.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'll get back to you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an Autozone here but I went to Advanced Auto Parts. They offer the same service but told me since the "check engine" light is not on, it won't tell us anything. Have to go someplace else I guess?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Ok so there is no trouble codes in the system.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

This is telling me that it has nothing to do with any sensors or engine management units.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

This is more of a mechanic issue.

Did you change the transmission at the dealership since you have a warranty?

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Or did you go to a non dealership shop.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

can you please check if the Transmission fluid level is in the max position.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL INSPECTION

1. Drive the vehicle until the fluid reaches normal operating temperature [70 - 80°C] .
  2. Place the vehicle on a level surface.
  3. Move the selector lever through all gear position. This will fill the torque converter and the hydraulic system with fluid and move the selector lever to the "N" (Neutral) position.
  4. Before removing the oil level gauge, wipe all contaminants from around the oil level gauge. Then take out the oil level gauge and check the condition of the fluid.

NOTE: If the fluid smells as if it is burning, it means that the fluid has been contaminated by fine particles from the bushes and friction materials, a transmission overhaul may be necessary.

1. Check that the fluid level is in the "HOT" mark on the oil level gauge. If fluid level is low, add automatic transaxle fluid until the level reaches the "HOT" mark. Auto transaxle fluid: DIAMOND ATF SP-III, SK ATF SP-III

NOTE: Low fluid level can cause a variety of abnormal conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with fluid. Air trapped in the hydraulic system forms bubbles, which are compressible. Therefore, pressures will be erratic, causing delayed shifting, slipping clutches and brakes, etc. improper filling can also raise fluid level too high. When the transaxle has too much fluid, gears churn up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with low fluid level, resulting in accelerated deterioration of automatic transaxle fluid. In either case, air bubbles can cause overheating, and fluid oxidation, which can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and brake operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transaxle vent where it may be mistaken for a leak.

1. Insert the oil level gauge securely.

NOTE: When new, automatic transmission fluid should be red, The red dye is added so the assembly plant can identify it as transmission fluid and distinguish it from engine oil or antifreeze. The red dye, which is not an indicator of fluid quality, is not permanent. As the vehicle is driven the transmission fluid will begin to look darker. The color may eventually appear light brown.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the work done at a non-dealership shop. The level of fluid is full, to the hot marker on the dip-stick. No smell and the fluid is red. This work was done in June. I did start the car, moved the gear selector through all gears and put the car in Neutral before checking the levels as directed.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

I'm curious when the tech replaced did they test drove the car. What did they say about the 1- 2 shift buck.