Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

My 700r4 transmission shifts in to 1st and 2nd fine, but

Customer Question

My 700r4 transmission shifts in to 1st and 2nd fine, but when it tries to go to 3rd, it just revs. Checked the transmission pan and filter, no metal shavings. Replaced trans filter and fluid. Still having same problem. Please tell me there's another solution other than replacing the 3-4 clutch pack.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I really wish i could say it was something else other than the 3-4 clutch pack or the 3-4 piston or piston seal causing this problem but with it shifting 1st and 2nd and it is in fact making the 3rd gear shift and it is just 3rd gear revving up the only thing that will cause this is the 3-4 clutch pack or the 3-4 piston or piston seal

there is nothing else that will cause this problem i am sorry to say

it needs to come out and apart for the 3-4 clutch inspection and the 3-4 piston seal and piston inspection

if the 3-4 clutch pack is good then the input drum could be cracked causing fluid to not make it to the 3-4 piston or piston seal causing the 3-4 clutches not to lock

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much do you think would be a fair price to replace the 3-4 clutch pack/piston?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it something that a somewhat experienced person could do by themselves? Or is it something I need to take to a trans specialist?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i would have a shop do it that has done these before

if its just a set of clutches this will run @ $ 1200 give or take

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any more questions